Sunday, May 31, 2009
Saturday, May 30, 2009
I am taking most of the day off today to read and enjoy our pool. So most of my money saving challenge today is about my shopping at Bashas this morning. But there are lessons to be learned on what I bought and why. While I was out I also deposited at the bank, 3 checks from rebates that I received the last few days, and I went to the PO with the mail. I also plan on doing one load of wash in cold water and hanging it to dry so as to not heat up my air conditioned home.
Breakfast this morning was toast made from my homemade cinnamon raisin bread. It was delicious. I plan on making French toast with it tomorrow. Lunch will be roast beef sandwiches. Dinner will be flounder which I am going to coat with my homemade breadcrumbs and use my deep fryer to cook outside on the patio table. We will have a tossed salad with the fish.
But here is my Bashas shop and at the end, I will tell you why I bought what I did.
4 - 2 ltr. bottle of Tonic - $ .69 each
1 Value Pack of Chuck Roasts on sale for $ 1.57 a lb x 4.93 lbs. = $ 7.74
1 pkg. of English Muffins - $ 1.89
1 Crusty Bread - $ 1.49
3 lbs. of Fresh Flounder on sale for $ 3.99 lb = $ 11.97
1.07 lbs. of Bashas Top Round Roast Beef - $ 9.99 lb = $ 10.69
2 International Delight Creamers - $ 1.99 each - Used $ 1./1 IP coupons Dbled = Free
Used $ 5./30. Bashas Cpn
Total OOP was $ 31.54!
Bashas has the cheapest price on Tonic that I have found in the area. It is their Fiesta brand. Tonic is tonic so why pay more. We use it with our lime gin for gin and tonics.
Did anyone notice that the package of meat in the picture was not the chuck roasts that I purchased? That is because I bought the roasts at $ 1.57 a lb and then asked the butcher to grind it for me. There is nothing better than ground chuck for hamburgers. They are so juicy! By buying the roasts when they are on sale, I get to control the amount of fat and the price is so much cheaper than what I can buy ground beef for. With ground beef, I have no idea what part of the cow it is from. By buying the chuck roasts, I know it is ground chuck. I have a meat grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer but when the butcher is willing to do it for free for me, I let him. Now, after dividing the meat up into portions with my Tilia Foodsaver, we have enough ground chuck for 6 meals which costs us $ 1.29 a meal for meat.
We needed English Muffins and the store brand was the cheapest. The crusty bread and roast beef are a treat since we have not gone out to a restaurant for lunch or dinner in over a month. It was a split second splurge when I saw how rare the roast beef was. We love really rare roast beef. Instead of spending more than $ 12.18 for the 2 of us to go to lunch, this same amount of money will make three lunches.
We, very rarely, can get fresh flounder here in AZ. When I saw the fresh flounder, which we love and saw it at such a great price, I bought enough for 4 meals. We will have one tonight and I froze the rest for other meals.
The creamers were badly needed and they were free after double coupons. Thanks to KC at http://www.desertdealsdiva.blogspot.com/ I had the $ 5.00/30.00 coupon to defray the cost of my splurge! Thanks so much KC!
As usual, please feel free to share with all of us what you did to save money today by leaving a comment!
Friday, May 29, 2009
1 and 1/2 cups of milk
3 Tbsp. of cornstarch
3/4 cup of beef broth and a few sprinkles of powdered beef bouillon
a dash of salt and pepper
I then added this and 1/2 packet of onion soup mix to the crockpot. We will have this served over brown rice with green beans served on the side.
For lunch, we hard boiled some eggs so that DH could make egg salad on crackers.
This afternoon I am continuing some bread recipe research. We also had a nice chat with our grandaughter and DIL using the webcams which made us very, very happy! We also plan on going for a swim in the pool and having our cocktail of choice out there before dinner.
So I again will not be going out spending money or using any gasoline.
We are also continuing to save on energy through the everyday ways.
The mail today brought me the $6.00 refund form for UPS shipping from Lucky! Thanks Lucky! I also received a $ 10.00 check. And I was also able today to order another gift certificate from Swagbucks. I almost forgot to tell you that I got my Free Mars Chocolate today also!
Entertainment tonight will be a DVD - most likely The Bucket List!
As usual, feel free to share what you did to save money today by leaving a comment and sharing with all of us.
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
1. Breakfast was cereal, juice and coffee for DH. I just had a granola bar and coffee because I was in a hurry to get shopping.
2. Made 2 trips to Bashas after pulling some coupons and grabbing my coupon binder which I took with me.
3. Washed one load of clothes in cold water on off peak hours using the minimum of laundry detergent that my DIL gave me before they moved. I hung them to dry before I went out.
4. I plan on making bread tomorrow in the bread machine so I put all the dry ingredients in a container so I can do that quickly in the morning.
5. Lunch was cheese and crackers.
6. Did some online research today on how to save money by switching Cable TV and/or internet carriers. I have not decided if I am going to do that yet.
7. Received $20.00 in Rebates in the mail.
8. Dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow cost us $ 1.09! I saw on the Pinching Your Pennies Forums which is here:
http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/ on the Arizona forum that I could sign up on Papa John's site and if I was one of the first 2500 to do so that I would receive a code in my e-mail to order a Large One Topping Pizza for $ 1.00 plus tax. The deal is only good today. I signed up in time and recieved the code. I ordered online and since Papa John's is only 1 block away, I opted to pick it
up so only paid $ 1.00 plus $ .09 in tax! This was a great deal! I can't make a pizza for that price. So the chicken salad that we were going to have has been pushed off until tomorrow.
9. Tonight, we will be swimming in the pool and afterwards I will be reading for entertainment.
1 Whole Beef Tenderloin in the Bag(butcher cut it for me) - on sale for $ 5.87 a lb. = $ 39.33
3 Michael Angelo Entrees - $ 3.99 each - Used $ 1.50/1 Mfr. Cpns Dbled = $ 1.99 each
1 dozen Bashas Extra Large Eggs - $ 1.49 - $ 1.00 Markdown coupon = $ .49
2 Marie Callendars Cobblers - $ 4.99 each - Used $ 1./1 Mfrs. Cpn Dbled = $ 2.99 each
3 Crystal Light - $ 2.50 each - Used $ 1./1 IP Cpns Dbled = $ .50 each
2 cans of Dole Pineapple Chunks - $1.00 - Used $ .50/1 Mfr. Cpns Dbled = Free
3 boxes Smart Food Cranberry Almond Snacks - $ 2.99 each - Used $ 1./1 Mfrs. Cpns Dbled = $ .99 each
3 Grey Poupon Deli Mustard - $ 2.99 - Used $ 1./1 IP Cpns Dbled = $ .99 each
1 Healthy Choice Natural Entree - $ 2.50 - Used $ 1./1 Mfrs. Cpn Dbled = $ .50
6 Jello SF Puddings - $ 1.19 each = $ 7.14 - Used $ 1./3 IP Cpns Dbled = $ 3.14 for all 6
1 Jose Ole Taquitos - $ 3.99 - Used $ 1./1 Mfrs. Cpn Dbled = $ 1.99
2 Land O Lake Seasonings $ 2.99 each - Used $ 1./1 IP Cpns Dbled = $ .99 each
3 bottles of Martinelli Sparkling Cider - $ 3.49 - Used $1./1 Mfrs. Cpns Dbled = $ 1.49 each
3 Nabisco Premium Saltines - $ 2.99 each - Used $ 1./1 IP Cpns Dbled = $ .99 each
3 Ronzoni Smart Taste Pastas - $ 1.69 each - Used $ 1./1 Mfrs. Cpns Dbled = Free
3 lbs. Smart Balance 50/50 Butter Blend - $ 2.99 - Used $ 1./1 Mfrs. Cpns Dbled = $ .99 each
1 Tyson Anytizer Wings - $ 3.33 - Used $ 1./1 Mfrs. Cpn Dbled = $ 1.33
Used $ 5./50. Catalina that I got a couple of weeks ago
Total OOP was $ 73.56
Total Coupon Savings was $ 74.00!
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
1. Breakfast was from the stockpile: eggs once over easy and ham, juice and coffee.
2. Did a My Points survey; earned swagbucks points; got a swagbucks certificate which I have added to my Amazon account.
3. Started my Super Double Dollar shopping list for Bashas.
4. Rearranged my freezer so that I have more room for sale items this week.
5. Assessed what, in the refrigerator needs to be used up in the next few days before anything goes bad. Throwing food out is a big waste of money.
6. Made the marinade so that my chicken can marinate for a couple of hours before DH grills it.
7. I went to Famous Footwear today and found a pair of walker sneakers that I loved. They were $ 49.99, on sale for $ 29.99 and I used a 20% off coupon that was in their flyer this weekend. I paid with a merchandise credit. I still have almost $7.00 left in merchandise credit. I also made sure to give my rewards card so that I get points.
8. Thanks to KC, whose blog is here: http://desertdealsdiva.blogspot.com/
I was able to sign up for Movie Cube and use a Free Code they gave me to rent Valkyrie for DH and I to watch tonight. While I was at Bashas doing this, I picked up some badly needed OJ for $ 3.49 which I will take off my budget.
9. On the way home, I went to the PO with the mail and to CVS to pick up DH's prescription, so as to run all errands in a circle, trying to save on gas. The prices are really escalating here.
10. DH and I had some Hickory Farms cheese and summer sausage for lunch that I got so cheaply after Christmas.
11. I did a wash load of sheets and hung them to dry. I also ran the dishwasher on off peak hours. I always try to use my appliances during the off peak hours. A/C is 81 on peak and 78 off peak.
12. UPS brought a nice full size sample from Pinecone for me to try and do a survey about. I am very excited about this sample.
13. DH and I went for a swim in the pool.
14. Mail was a $3.00 Rebate Check.
15. DH will be grilling outside for dinner. We are making Tex Mex Chicken. The recipe is here:
My son made this for dinner last night and he and his wife loved it; so we decided to give it a try.
I will be making Steamfresh Southwestern Rice in the microwave to go with it along with serving some applesauce.
16. I so love technology! We have been able to see and speak to our grandaughter, son and DIL, 3 of the last 4 days. They just got a new web cam and we had ours, so we are all connected now. I was so afraid that our grandaughter would forget us but she smiles so widely when she sees us on the screen! I miss her so much and miss hugging and kissing her, but this will have to suffice for a while. I also talked to my other son today via the cellphone he sent us. I am just loving it all!
17. Lucky whose blog is here: http://cookingluck.blogspot.com/ is sending me a $6.00 off $30.00 UPS shipping coupon to help defray the cost of shipping my grandaughter's birthday presents. Thanks Lucky!
As usual, feel free to leave a comment and share with all of us what you did to save money today.
Friday, May 22, 2009
1. Breakfast was Cheerios with bananas, juice, and coffee from the stockpile.
2. The mail today contained a Caregivers Marketplace check for $ 7.00, a Cash4Books.net(which you can find in my right sidebar) check for $ 5.00 for a book sold, my Free Traditional Home and More Magazines, a Free Gillette Shampoo coupon and a bunch of ConAgra coupons including the Hunt's Ketchup Free one.
3. I was able to order another Amazon.com gift certificate in my Swagbucks.com account. These just keep adding up for Christmas money.
4. Was able to sign up for my Free Mars Chocolate Bar today!
5. I went shopping again at Fry's after I pulled my coupons and made my list as shown in my prior post.
6. I picked up a smoothie at Jack in the Box while I was out using a 1/2 off coupon. That was my lunch. DH had tuna fish on crackers.
7. I deposited the two checks that came today in the bank.
8. I stopped into Babies R Us and picked up some baby gifts that were on clearance. I got 6 outfits and some organic mittens( the ones that keep the baby from scratching) for $ 28.
9. I washed 2 loads of clothes and hung them to dry.
10. Dinner tonight will be hot dogs grilled outside.
11. I will be reading tonight.
DH and I are taking the next three days to enjoy the holiday weekend. There will be lots of grilling out and swimming and just doing nothing. So I will not even be turning on the computer until Tuesday. So I will talk to you all then. Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend.
Feel free to leave a comment and tell us what you did to save money today!
1 Head of Lettuce - $ 1.17 - Used Free Produce Cpn worth $ 1.00 wyb 2 Kraft Salad Dressing = $ .17
2 Green Onions - $ .50 each - Used Free Produce Cpn as above = Free
3 Kroger Cheese Popcorn - 3 for $5.00(stocking while it is on sale)
2 Oral B Toothbrushes - $ 1.00 each - Used $ .75/1 Mfrs. Cpn Dbled = Free
1 - 32 oz Coffeemate - $ 3.59 (UGH! But I really needed it)
2 bags of David's Sunflower Seeds - $ .99 each - Used $ 1./1 IP Cpns - Made $ .01 on each
4 Canisters of Country Time Lemonade Mix - $ 1.00 each - Used $ 1.50/1 IP Cpns = $ .25 each
4 Kraft Salad Dressings - 3 for $ 5.00 - Used $ 1./1 IP Cpns = $ 2.67
Received $ .10 Cloth Bag Credit
Total OOP was $ 12.40 including $ .09 tax.
My rollover grocery budget was $ 18.15 minus the $ 12.40 I spent today leaves $ 5.75 for the rest of the month!
Thursday, May 21, 2009
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
1. Took my navy shower
2. Had an English muffin for breakfast before I went shopping for the day
3. I drove 16 miles each way to Old Navy to do some great gift shopping. KC, at
gave me a $45.00 off $100.00 coupon that she won. Thanks KC! So I picked up some items for a baby gift and some items for my grandaughter for her birthday and to put away for Christmas. I spent OOP $ 60. for $ 105. worth of clothing.
4. I stopped at SuperTarget, Safeway and Bashas on my 32 mile trip and got the deals that I posted in one of my two prior posts today.
5. I stopped at the Post Office to send the mail on it's way. Abigail's Mommy, I finally got out to send you the coupons and sample.
6. I stopped at the bank and deposited The Unilever Rebate check for $ 11.51.
7. I stopped at CVS to pick up a prescription refill. My co-pay is $30.00 but I had a $25.00 off coupon for a refill so only had to pay $5.00.
8. Then I stopped at Arby's and got lunch to go for DH and I. I got a Bleu Cheese Roastburger for me which gave me the last stamp on my card so I got the All American Roastburger for DH for Free.
9. I chatted with my son in Buffalo for about 45 minutes of his commute on the cellphone he gave me.
10. I made my list for Fry's and pulled coupons and went shopping this afternoon, getting the deals in my prior post. I will be working on another one tonight.
11. The mail today had my McKenzie Book order in it so I will be doing some reading tonight along with watching the finale of Criminal Minds.
12. I made a shrimp dish that I served over noodles for dinner along with some steamed broccoli.
13. I am so tired so I think I will be going to bed earlier than my normal 1 AM.
Please feel free to leave a comment about what you did to save money today!
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
1. Breakfast was homemade egg, ham and cheese English Muffin sandwiches.
2. DH had his root canal done today. He negotiated a cash price of $ 1068.75 which included a permanent filling. He also brought home a bag of toothpaste, floss and ibuprofen samples.
3. One load of laundry was washed in cold water in off peak hours and hung to dry. I also ran the dishwasher in off peak hours.
4. I started wrapping my grandaughter's birthday presents to get them ready to ship. I ran out of wrapping paper. Since paper is so expensive and she won't even care about the paper, I wrapped the rest in the Sunday comics. I used to do this for my kids presents when they were little.
5. I used my last piece of bread yesterday. So I made a loaf of whole wheat in the breadmaker today.
6. Dinner will be one that DH can eat after his root canal. I made really tender meatballs this morning and I am putting them in jarred sauce over pasta. We will also have homemade garlic bread using the homemade bread.
7. The mail today was a razor and coupon, a sample of Aveeno Shampoo and conditioner and a coupon, Woman's Day Magazine, All You magazine, the Home Made Simple Booklet with all the coupons and a $11.51 Unilever Rebate.
8. I washed the car using the bucket method to conserve on water. I soap up the car using a soapy bucket of water and then rinse with the hose. I used my homemade window cleaner solution to wash all the car windows.
9. I made a minor sewing repair on a shirt so as not to have to throw it out.
10. Made a jug of sun tea.
11. Made up a batch of homemade taco seasoning.
12. I bagged up all the wastebaskets into store grocery bags since garbage day is tomorrow. This lets me save the storebought tall kitchen garbage bags for just the kitchen.
13. I went through all of the books in the bookcase and pulled out some to donate to the library.
14. I didn't eat lunch today. I was to busy to stop what I was doing.
15. We will be watching some of the Season Finales on TV tonight for entertainment.
As usual, please feel free to leave a comment and tell us what you did to save money today.
Sunday, May 17, 2009
1 Shamrock Farms Milk(not in picture) - $ 1.89
1 Bays English Muffins - $ 1.50 - Used $ 1./1 Mfrs. Cpn = $ .50
Used $ 2.00 Register Reward
Total OOP was $ .39!
6 Newspapers - $ 12.00
1 St. Ives Apricot Facial Scrub - $ 1.49 - Used $ 1.50/1 Mfrs. Cpn = Free
2 Hersheys Large Chocolate Bars - on B1G1F - Used $ 1./1 Mfrs. Cpn = Both for $ .99 ( I am adding these to my cookie chocolate stash in the freezer)
Total was $ 13.08 but nothing OOP because it was paid with a Free Prescription Giftcard.
My rollover grocery budget was $ 36.30 minus the $ .39 I spent today leaves $ 35.91 for the rest of the month.
Friday, May 15, 2009
Thursday, May 14, 2009
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
We started out fine with cereal, coffee and juice for breakfast. Then I spoke to my son to check on when he is going to be in his marathon in the fall so we could schedule our trip to NY around that. When I hung up, I booked our airline tickets for a cost of $ 518.40 for the both of us. That is a really good price! I was happy to have that done and now I can concentrate on car rentals, boarding for the cat and saving money frugally for other expenses.
Then I looked online at our current electric bill, which was $ 124.89. They just read the meter yesterday. The bill was $50. less than the same sq. footage house with a pool here. However we used 250 KWH more than the same bill last year and I need to spend some time tonight trying to figure out why. It has been warmer this year than last but not that much warmer. Oh well, a mystery to solve!
I did some paperwork for the rest of the morning and we had salsa and chips for lunch. Then it was off to the dentist. We have a wonderful dentist here who knows we have no insurance and who does not rip us off for cleanings, etc. I was due for a cleaning which was $64. and DH had a cleaning, an exam and an X-ray for $107. Then came the bad news. DH has an abcess. He didn't even know it because he had no pain. The dentist gave him a prescription for an antibiotic and a referral to an orthodontist to get a root canal. Of course this is a molar so it will cost us $1100.+ or that is about what our dentist says is the industry standard. DH is making his appt. for a consultation so we will find out soon. UGH! Fortunately this is a tooth with a crown so we won't have to pay for that, just the material to plug it.
So after I came home and dropped DH off, I went out to fill his prescription. I had no coupon but the cost was only $5.00! I just got home. While I have been writing here, DH made the potato salad from the baked potatoes I made the other night. We will have that and ham for dinner.
I didn't even get any good mail today! Hopefully tomorrow will be a more frugal day.
Please feel free to leave a comment and let us all know what you did to save money today!
Monday, May 11, 2009
1. DH cooked filet mignon out on the grill for dinner. I threw 12 baking potatoes in the oven. We had baked potatoes with butter, sour cream and sliced green onion and a bag of Steamfresh green beans with it. If I am going to turn that oven on in the spring or summer(which I rarely do), I am going to make it count. We will have homemade potato salad for tomorrow night and for lunches. I love potato salad made from baked potatoes.
2. I talked to both of my sons and my sister yesterday. PRICELESS!
3. I ordered that purse I liked which was on sale using Ebates so that I would get a $2.00 rebate.
These are the things I have done today:
1. Took my Navy shower.
2. Ran the dishwasher on off peak hours and let them air dry.
3. Did one load of wash and hung it to dry.
4. DH and I went shopping at Hobby Lobby to pick up 7 items that we needed for a craft project that he is making for our grandaughter for her birthday. Two of the items were on sale for 30% off. He also bought a wood and glass frame for the American flag that was his Dad's which will also hold his Dad's Army medals. He has been looking for one for a long time. This one was big enough and we were able to use the 40% off coupon from yesterday's newspaper.
5. Breakfast was egg omelets and toast.
6.Did the last of the ad week shopping as shown in my prior post.
7. I stopped on the way home from running errands and picked up lunch for DH and I. We split mini sirloin burgers(3 of them), a small order of fries and a small Diet Coke from Jack in the Box. I had a coupon that gave us the fries and soda free when you bought the mini sirloin burgers so $ 3.99+ tax for lunch for both of us.
8. The mail only had a Dove Deodorant sample from Costco.
9. I spent a few hours today researching airline prices for tickets for the Fall.
10. I also spent some time researching costs to see if I can reduce our internet and cable without giving up quality of service.
11. Spent some time organizing our Master Bathroom closet and taking inventory. I don't think I have to buy any HBA for a long, long, time.
12. Dinner will be the potstickers DH made on Saturday evening. We will just heat them in the microwave. He made some more dipping sauce for this batch.
13. DH has been painting the craft project for our grandaughter's birthday.
14. Entertainment tonight will be reading and watching CSI- Miami.
15. I just printed out the $50.00 worth of Kraft coupons also. Good only today at their site.
As usual, please feel free to tell us what you did to save money today by leaving a comment. I love learning from all of you!
DH and I went out shopping early this morning and then I went out alone a little later to get the last of the week's bargains. This is what I purchased:
Sunday, May 10, 2009
First, I went through Ebates so that I could get an 8% rebate. Then I went to eBags and put Vera Bradley in search and looked for this model which is Sherry. They have 12 different colors. I purchased night owl because it will go with all of my blue clothes. I love the color blue. The bag is $24.99 (48% off retail) plus shipping! I can't wait for it to arrive!
CVS Order # 1:
1- Bayer Quick Release Crystals - $ 2.00 - used $ 1.50 Mfrs. Cpn = $ .50 and I got a $ 2.00 ECB
5 Bags of Dunkin Donuts Coffee - $ 5.99 - Used $ 1.50 Mfrs. Cpns = $ 4.49 each
Used $ 5./30 CVS Cpn
Used $ 10.00 in ECB's
Total OOP was $ 7.95 and I received $ 2.00 in ECB's.
CVS Order # 2:
1 Bayer Quick Release Crystals - $ 2.00 - Used $ 1.50 Mfrs. Cpns = $ .50 and I got a $ 2.00 ECB
5 Bags of Dunkin Donuts Coffee - $ 5.99 - Used $ 1.50/1 Mfrs. Cpns = $ 4.49 each
Used $ 5./30 CVS Cpn
Used $ 2.00 in ECB's
Total OOP was $ 15.95 and I received a $ 2.00 ECB.
My rollover grocery budget was $ 91.73 minus the $ 23.90 I spent today leaves $ 67.83 for the rest of the month!
Saturday, May 9, 2009
It makes a lot less than the recipe says especially since DH likes to make them big. After it taking him 1 and 1/2 hours to make the dough and fill them, I felt bad for him. I will pick up some wrappers for the rest tomorrow. So we will have these potstickers plus the new ones for dinner on Monday night. If anyone is interested, the dough recipe and filling recipe is here: http://chinesefood.about.com/od/potstickers/r/potstickers.htm
The Dipping Sauce Recipe is: http://chinesefood.about.com/od/saucesdipping/r/dumplingdip.htm
These were as good, if not better, than any dumplings we have had. The dipping sauce was incredible!
Happy Mother's Day to All of you Moms out there. Enjoy your day!
So I went out this morning to get a few things that he needed to cook tonight. Not all the ingredients are above that he needed. I have alot of them. Can you guess what he is making tonight?
This is what I purchased:
Bok Choy at 1.99 a lb. - $ 2.43
Green Onions - $ .50
1- 39 oz. can of Kroger Premium Blend Coffee - $ 6.39
1 lb. Lean Ground Pork on sale for $ 2.99
1 bottle of Kroger Lite Soy Sauce - $ 1.99
Credit for 2 cloth bags - $ .10
Total OOP was $ 14.20!
Fresh & Easy:
4 lbs. of 80/20 ground beef on sale for $ 1.69 a lb. =$ 6.76
1- 18 ct. Large Eggs - $ 1.99
2 lbs. of Fresh Cherries - $ 1.99
1 Fresh & Easy Canvas Bag - $ .99 - used Free Fresh & Easy Coupon = Free
Total OOP was $ 10.79 including $ .06 tax on the bag.
The bok choy, green onions, soy sauce and ground pork were DH's request. I only have a couple of those 2 oz. Archer Farms Free Coffees left so I desperately needed coffee. I am hoping for a good sale before this can is gone. The ground beef was a good price for here. I would have gotten more but I am betting it will go lower by Memorial Day. I needed eggs and this was a decent price. The cherry price was phenomenal. Lastly, I am loving all the Free bag giveaways.
My rollover grocery budget was $ 116.72 minus the $ 24.99 I spent today leaves $ 91.73 for the rest of the month!
Friday, May 8, 2009
1. Breakfast was multigrain cheerios, orange juice and coffee.
2. DH pulled weeds and trimmed bushes today. He keeps up with it a little at a time so that we do not have to hire a landscaper.
3. I did a lot of organizing and pitching of stuff today. Most people who know me would say that I am quite organized and neat. But for some reason, stuff just seems to accumulate around here and it drives me batty. So today was one of the days to just pitch it.
4. I ironed the laundry that I washed yesterday. Always cheaper to use the iron than the dryer.
5. I gave myself a long overdue manicure today. I think I had one done professionally once when DH gave me a day at the spa. Except for that occasion, I can't see paying for a manicure especially with all the cheap and free polish I have here from CVS deals.
6. DH had a chefs salad for lunch. I had leftover ham from yesterday and an egg.
7. I took inventory of my soap and bodywash stash today. I show pictures in my prior post.
8. All lights were off until dark. The A/C is still at 81 and 78. I get my bill tomorrow and can't wait to see how I did this month.
9. I received $ 12.00 in Rebate Checks in the mail today.
10. Fed Ex surprised me with a Mother's Day gift from my son, DIL and grandaughter who just moved to NY. It was my very favorite: a box of Fanny May Milk Chocolate covered cherries. Most places that ship candy won't ship to AZ right now because of the heat. But this candy came in a special cold pack with dry ice. The chocolate cherries were perfect! So I called the kids to thank them and got to chat with my son for a while.
11. Dinner tonight was leftover chicken stir fry. YUM!!
As usual, please feel free to let us know how you saved money today by leaving a comment!
Thursday, May 7, 2009
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
1. Breakfast this morning was cereal and bananas again, juice and coffee. I know boring! But we were in a hurry to do some errands this morning, the bananas needed to be eaten and this was easy.
2. We did the walk through with the property management company on the rental house for my DIL and son, who moved to NY, so that they would get their deposit back.
3. I did all of the shopping, making a list, and pulling coupons. The purchases are in the two prior posts.
4. We bought the Dyson Ball vaccum cleaner at SuperTarget that you see pictured above. It was on sale this week. We paid $ 531.12 in cash of which $ 32.12 was sales tax. We got a Free $100. Target Giftcard for making this purchase. Now you know where I got the free Target giftcard for my grocery purchases. Our vacuum cleaners were cheap ones and were 10 and 15 years old. They were not working so well anymore. DH has been looking at all the Dyson Ball vacuum cleaners and researching which would be best for us and prices for months. He has researched online and at QVC and HSN. So when this deal came out in the ad this week, he knew it was a good one. He figures we saved about $ 70. after getting the giftcard. We also will save money on buying bags because this is bagless. Since he does all the vacuuming in the house, he is thrilled. It wasn't long after we got home that he was using his "new toy" on all the carpeting and all the tile floors. Since we have a cat, it was amazing to me how much hair came out of the carpet.
5. Lunch was grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches.
6. I went to Leslie's Pool Supply and picked up a gauge that DH ordered and a new outdoor battery operated clock for our patio area. I paid with coupons that Leslie's gave us for the lousy customer service. Since the coupons are in certain increments, I used a $5.00 one and a $20.00 one and had to pay $ .35 OOP!
7. In the mail today, I got a wonderful envelope of coupons from my sister. Thanks Sis! I also received the coupons you see above from Fry's. Two of them are Free coupons: one for a bag of Ruffles chips and one for a Free Best Foods Mayonaise. The other coupons were all for things I use. I also received a $3.00 Staples Rewards for turning in an inkjet cartridge last quarter. I thought I had turned in 4 but the other 3 were turned in the beginning of April so I will have to wait for that $ 9.00 till the end of this quarter. And lastly, I got a $10.00 check from My Survey!
8. Dinner is going to be chicken, lettuce, cheese, black olive, fresh tomato and sour cream wraps.
9. TV tonight will be Criminal Minds.
10. That is it for today. I am BEAT! I am off to pour a nice glass of White Zinfandel and relax!
As usual. please feel free to post in comments what you did to save money today!
5 lbs bag of store brand white rice - $ 4.99
2 Betty Crocker Suddenly Salad - $ .75 - Used $ .40/2 IP cpns dbled = Free
Total OOP was $ 4.99!
1 gallon of Fry's Milk - $ 1.47
1 Oreo Cakesters - $ 2.50 - Used $ 1.50 Mfrs. Cpn wyb milk = $ 1.00
4 cans of Campbells Chicken Broth - on sale 2 for $ 1.00 - Used $ 1./2 IP cpns = Free
5- 2 ltr Diet Pepsi( only 4 in picture- I was so thirsty when I came in I opened one) on sale for B4G1F = $ 4.40 - Used $ 2.00 on any Pepsi purchase Mfrs. cpn = $ 2.40 for all
Senior Discount of 10% = $ .89
Used 4 Cloth Bags - Discount $ .20
Total OOP was $ 3.78!
We have not one kernel of white rice in the house and we use it all the time. Store brand was the best deal. The Betty Crocker salads and the soup were free. Milk was cheap and the cakesters were on sale. The Pepsi was cheap and I had one last coupon from the Pepsi coupon rebate deal to use up. Today was senior discount day so wanted to shop today to take advantage of that!
My rollover grocery budget was $ 125.49 minus the $ 8.77 I spent today leaves $ 116.72 for the rest of the month!
1.48 lbs. of Fuji Apples - $ 2.50 - Used $ 1./1 Target Cpn = $ 1.50
5 Hersheys Bliss Candy Bars - $ .99 each = $ 4.95 - Used $ 1./1 Target cpns = made $ .05
4- 12 packs Diet Dr. Pepper - $ 3.00 each = $ 12.00 - Used $ 1./1 Target Cpns = $ 8.00
5 Chex Mix - $ .99 each - Used $ 1./1 Target Cpns = made $ .05
5 boxes of Quaker Granola Bites - $ 2.04 each - Used $ 1./1 Target cpns = $ 1.04 each
Total was $ 14.82 but nothing OOP because I used a Free Target Giftcard!
DH loves these apples so since I had the coupon, I got them for him. The soda is his favorite so I think between these Dr. Pepper and the Coke I bought in prior weeks, he should be set for most of the summer. The candy bars and Chex mix were moneymakers. The granola bites were cheap after coupon and I love to have these in the car in case I get hungry or have a low blood sugar attack while I am out shopping.
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
1 Tropicana Orange Juice - $ 3.00 - Used $ 1./1 Mfrs. Cpn = $ 2.00
1- 80 ct Hefty Tall Kitchen Garbage Bags - $ 6.99 - Used $ 1./1 Mfrs. Cpn = $ 5.99
Used $ 5.00 in ECB's
Total OOP was $3.12 of which $ .13 was tax.
2- Pert Shampoo for Men - 2 for $ 5.00 - Used $ 1.50/1 Mfrs. Cpns = $ 2.00
Total was $ 2.40 including $ .40 tax but nothing OOP because I used my Walgreens Rebate Giftcard and I received a $ 2. Register Reward good on my next shopping order.
3- 30lb. Tidy Cat Scoopable Cat Litter( only one pictured; they are heavy to lift) - $ 8.99 each - Used $1./1 Mfrs. Cpns = $ 7.99 each
Used $ 5./25. Petco IP Cpn
Total OOP was $ 20.74 including $ 1.77 in tax.
We were down to our last couple of glasses of orange juice which DH drinks every morning. I was going to CVS anyhow so got it there since it was on sale. I had two tall kitchen garbage bags left and this 80 ct. box was a good price at CVS this week especially when I could apply ECB's toward the purchase. DH wanted to try the Pert so Free was a great price. I just wish I could find the TMF sticker to send for the rebate. Does anybody have an extra?
I desperately needed cat litter since I emptied the last bucket. This was a good price especially since the containers were bonus size with an extra 3 lbs. each. and I knew they took competitors coupons so I stocked.
My rollover grocery budget was $ 149.35 minus the $ 23.86 I spent today leaves $ 125.49 for the rest of the month!
Monday, May 4, 2009
1. I made my CVS list and pulled my coupons and ECB's and shopped frugally for the few things we needed. See my prior post.
2. I made all meals from the stockpile yesterday, Breakfast was a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich. Lunch was salsa and chips. Dinner was leftover mac and cheese and broccoli.
3. I cut all of yesterday's insert coupons.
4. Most of yesterday was just a relaxing day. I like to pretty much take Sundays off from doing much.
5. Breakfast this morning was cereal with banana slices, coffee and juice.
6. I filed coupons from yesterday.
7. I made phonecalls to take care of business things so everything is caught up.
8. Lunch was steakburgers on buns with chips and pickles - everything from my stockpile.
9. DH went to Leslies to get a few things for the pool that we needed. He shopped using the $ 75. worth of vouchers that they sent us. So no money OOP!
10. He also returned a pair of shoes for store credit of $32.+ because they cut into his feet after one wearing.
11. In the mail today, I got the $ 9.00 Bud Light Rebate and my Staples Rewards for $ 10.38!
12. Dinner will be the OnCor Lasagna that I got free last week heated in the microwave to save on energy. DH is also going to make homemade garlic mozzarella bread from the free crusty bread I got at Bashas. He will do that in the toaster oven to save on energy.
13. The A/C is at 81 on on peak hours and 78 on off peak. No lights till dark.
14. DH and I are going to watch our favorite programs tonight - 24 and CSI Miami which looks really good tonight.
As usual feel free to post in comments what you did to save money today!