Friday, March 1, 2013
Money Saving Challenge This Past Week
* Sewed another loose button on one of DH's shirts. It seems like they are all coming off at once.
* Used the 2 Free Q's that we got from Wise to get 2 very large bags of Wise Ridgie chips( on sale price was $ 4.39 each ). The Q's were good on any product but the multi-packs so I went for the largest bags they had. DH likes them plus I like to have them with sandwiches for company. I also cashed in a Free Q at Tops for a free box of Kleenex ( price was $1.49 ).
* I am giving my DIL 2 free coupons: One for an Atkins Free Entree and one for a Free Pepsi Next. Rather than throw them out it will save her some money.
* I made my granddaughter's and grandson's homemade Easter baskets. The baskets were on sale 25% off and so was the grass. I filled them with some items that were also 25% off and some candy that I picked up at B.J.'s They are getting very nice stuffed baskets that cost me a lot less than buying small premade baskets.
* I also put together some gifts for the family for a birthday and anniversary in March.
* I mailed in my Natural Dentist $ 5.00 rebate.
* I did three loads of laundry in the HE's with minimum detergent. I washed with cold water and dried them on medium heat one load after the other while the dryer retained it's heat.
* I also purchased 4 dozen eggs for $ 1.00 each this week. That was all I spent on groceries.
* DH called and got the First Alert Alarm that went off defectively replaced under warranty. Since this is the second one in 6 months that they have had to replace, they waived the shipping cost also.
* DH got his hearing aid back repaired at no cost from Zounds.
* I made WW Turkey Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo in the crockpot. That gave us two meals this week. I also cooked 95% lean hamburgers for dinner last night and was just starting them when my son and grandson stopped in. My DIL was flying back from out of state on business and didn't get home until late last night. They stayed for dinner so I quickly put some FF's in the oven to go with them. I serve all kinds of veggies and mushrooms to top the burgers so no extra veggie was necessary. Of course after dinner, we had to play cards with West. So that was part of our entertainment last night. Tonight I made Chef's salad with lots of veggies and some cheddar cheese and some leftover cooked turkey slices that I had in the freezer.
* I cleaned the inside of our car and hope to take it to a self serve car wash soon and get the salt washed off. It just keeps snowing here and they just keep salting the roads. Where is Spring?
* I made my menu for the next two weeks using WW recipes. There isn't a thing I have to go out and buy for them. I have everything I need in the stockpile.
* I added 2016: Obama's America to my Netflix queue. It will be the next DVD mailed to us.
* I sent for a few free samples and did my points programs. I ordered another $ 5.00 Amazon gift certificate with Swagbuck points.
* We continue to work on lowering our utility bills every way that we know. We are using less energy for cooking by doubling up on meals and using small appliances to cook them in. I am only running the dishwasher every 2-3 days. I am keeping the energy saving shades drawn on the windows with no sun and we are not turning on lights until dark. We continue to keep the heat at 68 during the daytime and at 65 at night.
* We barely used the car this week so only about 1/4 of a tank of gasoline was used. It's a good thing with prices hovering at $ 4.00 a gallon.
* I am rereading some old books that we have on our bookshelves. They are classics that I haven't read in years. Right now I am working on Little Women.
That is about all that we have done this week. If you keep track, you will notice that I posted this a day early. That is because our son, DIL, and granddaughter in Albany will be visiting with us. So I will not be on the computer from Saturday until next Wednesday. We see them only a few times a year so we want to spend all of the time that we are together with them. That time is very precious to me! I am letting you know so that you don't worry about me as I know so many of you do with your kind e-mails. So look for me to put up a blog post next Wednesday. Also a quick reminder that it is now March 1 and the first day of my no unnecessary spending month.
As usual please feel free to share with all of us what you did to save money this week.